Tuesday, August 25, 2009

WHERE THE BUFFALO MEETS THE WHITE

This weekend Kenny and I loaded up the kayak, the dog and ourselves and headed for the Ozarks with some of Kenny's friends from high school/college for a little float trip. We stayed at the White Buffalo resort and rented a large cabin. This resort was where Kenny and his friends went for his bachelor party. I had never been. But after this weekend it might be one of my favorite spots. And we couldn't have asked for better weather. High of 85 and not a chance of rain. It was one of those weekends where everything seemed to be in technicolor.


Although the drive is a little long, (4 hours) most of it is two lane driving through quaint little towns in the foothills of Arkansas. So it is a really pretty drive. After stopping in the great town of Mountain Home to stock up on food and alcohol we made our way to the resort. Now resort sounds fancy. This place has any type of accommodations you might like such as,tent camping, one room cabins, and larger cabins that will fit any group. It has a small store where we were lucky to find the makings for smores which we had forgotten and other small items. It also had a pool. Not to mention the cabins were 50 yards from the river. Providing lots of enjoyment for us and the dogs.



Once we were all settled in. It was so nice just to relax and get the grill going. Of course the boys main focus was getting the fire in the fire pit started. It was all about the core right boys! First they started with foliage.

Then the boys decided they needed more wood. SO naturally they found a tree.

And finally we got the fire going.

So of course we talked Dan into jumping over the fire. Good times. Ha!

On Saturday we woke up to prepare for our day long canoe/kayak trip. Kenny and I had decided we wanted to take Lena. But we weren't sure if she would fit so we had to do a test run.
Kenny was not into making the fun poses with me. Spoil sport. We ended up deciding that while Lena did in fact fit in the kayak with us that it might be a tight squeeze. So Kenny and I ended up renting a canoe and letting Danny B take our kayak down the river.

And unfortunately I do not have any pictures from the actual trip because I was not trusting my camera in the dry bag. But let me tell you. Buffalo river is one of the prettiest places I have ever canoed. You literally can see down to the bottom of the river the entire time. It is so gorgeous! The water was freezing but that did not stop the boys from fly fishing. We really did have the best time. The 6 mile trip took us 7 hours because we kept stopping at all the sand bars and just relaxing. It really was so nice. And Lena could of died a happy dog that day. She had the best time!

When we got back to the cabin that night we grilled out and I had a couple of Firefly Vodkas with some Simply Lemonade and then I layed down to rest my eyes and that was the end of that. I was asleep by 8:30. Plum tuckered out. I even missed roasting marshmallows.

We headed back pretty early on Sunday. So sad to leave. Can't wait to go back!

1 comment:

SouthernBelleJM said...

Okay, I feel better. I didn't want you to think I was some kind of stalker. Ha! Our retreat is at Bridges. I've heard it's fun; so, I feel better about that. I really enjoyed last night and am looking forward to more stuff. It's weird go from full time school mode to nothing to do with your time. I thought it would be a good way to fill some of my time and give back to the community.