Tuesday, January 26, 2010

MOVIE REVIEW


So Kenny and I are big movie watchers. My husband has this thing for movie popcorn (more like obsession) and will go see any movie with me JUST to eat the popcorn. REALLY.

On top of going to the movie theatre regularly we are also members of Blockbuster.com and rent and watch around 1-2 movies a week. We also have HBO and other movie channels where we watch a lot of movies. Don't ask me how we have time for this. So I thought I would start giving short movie reviews after we watch movies. I have been doing this lately anyway. I promise not to give anything away.

So last night we went to see BOOK OF ELI. I made the mistake of looking at Entertainment Weekly's review. I usually just glance to see what letter grade they give the movie and then go back and read the review afterwards. Yesterday I read the entire review so going into see Book of Eli I had lowered my expectations because EW had given it a low grade.

This movie was intense. I love End of the World movies/Post Apocalyptic because I like seeing how people are surviving. Think I Am Legend, The Road. This movie follows Denzel Washington as he moves through the country trying to survive all the while protecting the only copy left of the King James Holy Bible. People want to take the Bible from him to obtain the power they believe it holds. Parts of this movie are pretty gory because Denzel(Eli) has learned very well to protect himself with a very large knife. HA!

I have to tell you that I was really into this movie. Very suspenseful and perhaps even a bit thought provoking. It is one of those movies that I want to see again to catch things that I missed the first time. I give it a very strong A.

Entertainment Weekly gave it a D. I strongly disagree with pretty much everything the reviewer said. You can read their review here but I would not suggest reading it if you want to see this movie. (Edited to add: In reading people's responses and comments to the review most people also disagreed with the reviewer and thought it was a great movie.)

Oh and P.S. How gorgeous is Mila Kunis. She was in this movie and did a great job. You would recognize her from That 70's Show and Forgetting Sarah Marshall. Love her!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Claire Gillentine said...

thanks for the address!