Wednesday, December 1, 2010

MY LITTLE CHRISTMAS TREE

Monday night we continued with our annual tradition of "night of tree decoration." For as long as I can remember to kick off the Christmas season we order take out, decorate the tree while listening to Christmas music and then watch Christmas Vacation. Kenny loves the movie and I enjoy it too. We treat it as a little date night together at home. I love it.

This year seemed especially surreal because we were both so aware that this would be the LAST time that it would just be he and I decorating the tree. Next year, while she might not be able to help all that much, Elting will be here. We will be a family of four (don't forget about Lena!)

The way we choose to decorate the tree is using ornaments that we are given and that we buy for each other each year that mean something to us. No themes, or fru fru-ness. To me it makes decorating the tree so much more fun because we talk about each ornament as we pull it out. Where we got it, who gave it to us, when we got it. My mom gives us a box of ornaments that she buys every Christmas that she buys throughout the year and this year along with the ones she bought she had included some that usually hang on her tree from my childhood. You know you are getting old when these types of things have such sentimental value.

Here is the before shot of our little tree. And yes we do artificial. We are both allergic. So I buy lots of Christmas tree scented candles to make it smell more authentic because everyone knows that is the best part of a real tree anyway.
Mom's annual gift of ornaments waiting to be opened.

Some of our ornaments.
1. An elephant ornament Kenny gave me the first year we were married because it is my favorite animal. I love them.
2. Kenny's favorite baseball team is the Red Sox and I found this for a steal brand new at our Junior League's second hand store and snatched it up. Couldn't believe my luck.
3. A little clay crawfish from an art show my mom went to. So random and I love it.
4. Ballet Slippers from my mom's tree. I got these from the dance studio that I took lessons from when I was little and I have always loved them. So fun to have them on our tree now.
5. Couldn't resist this cheesy goodness. Got this for Kenny our first year we were married. And yes it has our names on it. Ha!
6. And we couldn't ignore this guy this year. He got a front row spot representing all of Mississippi State's hard work this season! We have so many State ornaments we are contemplating doing a small themed State tree in our office.
Me in all my pregnant glory and Lena decorating the tree together.
And our finished tree. Isn't she pretty. I still need a tree skirt. I have never been able to find one that I felt was right or that I liked. So I just shop for gifts and wrap them quickly and get them under the tree!

No comments: