Friday, February 4, 2011

IRRATIONAL FEAR



So with motherhood comes lots of fears. LOTS! Some of them extremely rational, some of them not so much. But the one that I am dealing with on a nightly basis these past few days is completely and totally 100% irrational. What is it???

I am terrified I am going to hear a ghost/spirit/poltergeist/creature/something in the nursery on Elting's baby monitor.


Where in the world did this fear come from? I have no idea. Maybe there might have been something about hearing things on a monitor in that Paranormal Activity 2 preview. But I am not sure and I never even saw that movie. But with every bump, creak and static moment on the monitor I cringe, envisioning some ghostly being standing over her crib.

The other night as I was falling asleep I started hearing this guy talking over the monitor. It was just static and then a few words and then the monitor would go back to working normally. The rational side of me knows that this was just the monitor picking up some sort of radio activity nearby. The manual even said this might happen and if it bothers you, you can just change your channel. But the irrational side of me kept thinking "It's a ghost! It's a ghost!" Seriously what is wrong with me??

Is it that with a newborn I have so many other important things to worry about that my brain is coping by obsessing about ghosts.

And to make matters worse in writing this post I googled creepy baby monitors looking for an image and there is an entire site dedicated to people hearing creepy things over baby monitors. I did not click but this is a real thing!!! Oh crap!!

3 comments:

Susan H said...

I've heard about this, and it would totally freak me out to hear voices in my home that don't belong (whether they are from the neighbor or not!!) Totally not irrational!

Elizabeth said...

This cracked me up!

Mrs. Lopez said...

That does happen in Paranormal Activity 2. I'm sure that's not gonna happen though!