Thursday, June 2, 2011

TAKING THE PLUNGE

So the more and more I think about it, the more I am convinced. I think I am going to make Elle's baby food. I never thought I would be one of those moms. But it seems really easy and to me the benefits are huge. Plus I like food and to cook so this would just be something fun to do.

My two main reasons for wanting to make my own baby food:
- The food is more nutritious. The vitamins and nutrients remain in the food.
- It is cheaper. Considering we had to go the formula route pretty early on, it would be aweseome to save a little in this new phase.

Only problem. I really really want this baby food maker. It practically does it all for you. It steams, blends, defrosts and reheats. I am SOLD! The price tag is a little steep though and my birthday isn't for a few months. And I mean really. A baby food maker for my birthday. That is just sad.

Anyone have any experience with this fine piece of machinery. Or know one that works just as well for cheaper? I would love any and all opinions!

5 comments:

The Priers said...

I so wanted one!!! and still do!
I just cooked and used a food mill/grinder. A blender also works.

The Priers said...

Oh goodness! I think it has more to do with putting it in a bottle and/or the early introduction.
I can't remember where and what all I read. and Ally is already a big baby.
Hmmm I might do a post on food, just because lots of new moms read my blog and I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way.
A site that has lots of good recipe's and info on baby nutrition/food, when and what to try is wholesomebabyfood.com

Anonymous said...

I had one and it was broken by week 2. I liked using a good blender better because it pureed the foods better as well. You also can't make very big batches in this one, where you can roast a bunch of sweet potatoes and blend in a blender and get 4x as much at once. Just my 2 cents....-Lele (I found your blog through a friend of a friend of a friend...etc.)

Pinot after Playdates said...

all you need is a pot to steam and pan to bake foods in and a blender (i don't even use a full fledged blender, its a magic bullet) puree and then freeze into ice cube trays (BPA free) and then pop out cube into ziploc freezer bags...SO EASY. I have a friend with that same food maker and she said the components don't dry all the way when she cleans it and it can mold....nuturebaby.com is another great food site....and yes, that would be sad for a birthday gift :) you should try making it, its really too easy not to take up...

Stefanie and Conrad said...

We have the BabyCook and it is greeat! Really easy to use!!! Love it! I didn't make as much as I wish I had...I hope to better this time around.