Tuesday, March 25, 2014

RECREATING THE MOCHA IN THE NAME OF EXCESS

I have a confession.  I had a $40 a week coffee shop habit.  I went from a being a no caffeine no coffee drinker.  To drinking a decaf coffee a few times a week to drinking a half caf coffee a few times a week to being a full out caffeine coffee drinker on a daily basis.  And I refused  to make my coffee at home.  It just did not taste as good to me.  Plus I prefer to drink my coffee out of go cups.


As this all progressed my bible study started 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.  Each week you focus on a certain aspect of excess in your life.  This book was amazing and made me examine so many aspects of my life.  I really took so much away from this book.  Many things way more important than my coffee habit.  But I will say that I was very very ashamed of the amount of money I was spending. So I wanted to change.

I decided to start making my own coffee and use the money that I would of spent towards good.  I understand I did have to spend some money to start this endeavor but it still was nothing compared to going to a coffee shop.  I had Kenny pick up some of those $1 plastic cups at Starbucks that look like their to go cups and I have loved them.  They give me the feeling on sipping a coffee shop coffee. And they cut down on waste.  Another aspect of the 7 book!

Then I have finally managed to perfect my beloved mocha.  And with less calories!!
Here we go! Keurig Coffee pod.  It varies as to which type I use.  Starbucks plastic sippy cup. Half a pack of Starbucks hot cocoa and 1 1/2 tablespoons of Hershey syrup. Top that off with 1/3 cup of milk.  This comes to 178 calories and taste very close to my coffee shop mochas.  I am so pleased.

And meet Manuel! For what I would spend in one weeks worth of coffee I am now sponsoring Manuel through Compassion! I chose him because he was waiting so long for a sponsor and his description stated that he does above average in school! I CANNOT WAIT to start learning more about him! I have also started donating money to a ministry here in Starkville that I am involved with.  

No comments: