Thursday, September 18, 2008

IS IT JUST ME?

Is it because my life is moving at a such a brisk pace or does the world seem really crazy right now. Particularly our country? I feel like everything that is going on in our country seems to be at a really heightened state.

First there is the elections in November so of course the news is swamped with coverage of who said and did what. The first debate between the two candidates is next week in Mississippi. I think that is really neat despite that my sister says Oxford is going to be crazy. However, I don't think anyone can deny that the mudslinging can get a little tiresome sometimes.

Then there is the stock market. Every morning when I watch the news it is more bad news. Our financial situation in America is the worse in the nation's history. That is big. And let me just say that I am so happy to be going through it now as a newlywed rather than if Kenny and I were getting ready to retire. We are young and things are not supposed to be super easy. Imagine if you were a few years away from retiring and you had to look at working another 10 years because of the state of your portfolio. Yuck!

Hurricane season has been a doozy this year. Gustav, Hannah, and then Ike slamming Texas, leaving many dead and thousands of people without homes or power. It is hard to watch the turmoil and the loss that Mississippi knows so well happen all over again to somebody else. The good news is that FEMA learned so much from what happened in Mississippi and Louisiana that they have really gotten their act together and have been quicker to respond.

And I think it is important not to forget that our country is still at war. American soldiers are still over there fighting. We are still losing lives and bringing home wounded. With everything else happening I have noticed that the war has taken a back seat to our country's other issues. I am thankful for what our soldiers are accomplishing and continue to accomplish in Iraq.

I did not mean for this post to be a downer to anyone, I just hope that our country steadies itself and things start on the upswing sooner rather than later. I am ready for some good news in the morning.

3 comments:

Insight, Insanity, Imagination said...

I agree - sometimes I get to where I just say "turn off the news. I can't take it anymore"


where have you guys been going to church? we have visited quite a few but unfortunately haven't found anything we love.

Hopsy said...

I am so thankful for our soldiers and all they are doing for us daily! I am praying for their safety as well as their loved ones.

Anonymous said...

It's really not the worst in our nations history. Ever hear of the Depression? You should probably watch less propaganda.