Wednesday, February 20, 2008

SOUP SUNDAY

So I know that this post is a little overdue but it was such a great event that I have to post about it. It involves two of my favorite things. Charities and eating! I am sure any of you that are from Memphis have heard of this event but for those of you who have not let me tell you how awesome it is. On February 10th the non-profit organization Youth Villages has Soup Sunday. Tickets are like $15 dollars and basically what that gets you is one of those cardboard drink holders. You know the things you get at baseball games to carry multiple drinks. And then here is the best part. All you do is walk around and EAT! And for a soup lover like me this is heaven.

At Soup Sunday over 60 of Memphis' most well know restaurants offer up their time and one of their tastiest soups. They might also have a good piece of cheese toast or a roll to go with your soup or some had delicious desserts. So you walk the loop around the FedEx forum armed with your drink carrier and you just go from booth to booth taking samples of soup from each restaurant. They are generous samples, usually the size of half a styrofoam cup. Some of the soups might even be served in a crusty bread bowl. Susan went with me to this and we had a blast. There were so many kinds of soup; seafood gumbo, beer cheese soup, crab bisque, lobster biqsue, mushroom bisque (lots of bisques) and oh my lordy the desserts. That was the one mistake Susan and I made. Early on we found the BEST blackberry cobbler I have ever put in my mouth. We kept going back for seconds and thirds. So we filled up pretty fast. We were so stuffed after an hour and a half or so. But the soups were just so good!

The event also had a large band for entertainment and some activites for kids. So it really is the perfect way to get your Sunday lunch. I will never ever miss this event and can't wait for next year!

No comments: