Friday, April 4, 2008

A WHOLE MOVIE ABOUT A FONT?!

That is what Kenny said when he asked me how the movie was.
Last night I went with my friend Jo Ann to an event at the Brooks Musuem. My stepmom got Kenny and me a membership to the museum and I was so happy to get a chance to enjoy one of their events! The event was to "tongue in cheek" celebrate the 50th birthday of Helvetica font. Yes, a font. For anyone who knows anything about graphic design then they know about Helvetica font.

I do not consider myself to be a real graphic designer, however in my work I actually do a great amount of graphic design. I design ads, and invitations, and other marketing pieces for the company I work for. Nothing to exciting but I really enjoy it.

Jo Ann and I had a really great time. They had this great baker Andrew Adams make a Helvetica cake in the Helvetica font. It was so cute. If you want his contact information let me know because I took his card. The cake was really yummy. They also had Helvetinis.

The main event was the documentary Helvetica. And I found it so interesting. My company's logo is in Helvetica font and I really have a love hate relationship with the font. The movie showed the history of how the font was created and interviewed many graphic designers that have used the font through its 50 years. But the film made me realize how this font really changed advertising and the way words are conveyed. In watching the film I had never thought of typograpy as a business. The whole film was very smart and at times very funny(to anyone who cares about fonts).  The whole event was very clever and I am so glad I went!


No comments: