Friday, January 9, 2009

HEAVEN'S GROCERY STORE


Yesterday I decided I wanted a spaghetti squash for dinner. Yum right. So I knew that my normal grocery store does not always have them so I decided to venture to Whole Foods. Having lived down town for almost three years my selection of grocery stores was minimal so this was my first time to step into Whole Foods.

Angel chorus begins. This place was amazing. I felt healthier for just being there. The produce was pretty and they had things that at other times could seem hard to find. They had huge tubes of nuts and seeds and grains. Everything said Organic......

So I find the spaghetti squash and place two in my basket and head over to the dairy section to find some Shirataki Noodles that come so highly recommended by Hungry Girl. These noodles are made of tofu and are extremely low in carbs and sugar and are a great substitute for pasta. Whole Foods(Heaven's grocery store) is the only place that I have found that carries them.

Back to the point, as I peruse the dairy aisle I literally have to fight temptation to fill my basket to the brim with Tahini and hummus and all kinds of delicious organic cheeses. I mean inner conflict to the max. "No Mallory, you came here for spaghetti squash and noodles. No need to spend a fortune on a quick errand." Because if I have not mentioned the one down fall to this place is everything is a little pricier.

I make my way to the check out past the deli, and bakery, sushi, hot bar, salad bar, and into the line. I even got a waft of patchouli as I waited. This store even smelled like a hippy. How do they do that?

It is my turn to check out and the guy with lots of Whole Foods flare on his apron scans my squash, the main purpose for coming to Heaven's Grocery store when I see............

$19.97

$20 dollars for two squash!!!!!! You have got to be kidding me. $20.00 dollars. They are squash for goodness sakes! I asked him if that was correct and he said it was. So I sucked it up and I got those two organic squash from Heaven's Grocery Store. As the teller went to put them in the bag he looked at me and he goes " I will be careful with your squash." You better be bub for ten dollars a piece. Jeez!

My squash was delicious. It made a ton so I have leftovers so at least it will last for several meals.

No, it does not make me feel better.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hahaha! You just made me laugh out loudd.

Jules said...

I have been on the hunt for those Tofu Shirataki (sp?) Noodles. I always see them in my HungryGirl emails.

The Mrs. said...

This is why hubby and I call it Whole Paycheck!!! LOL! We have one near me and it's so small and grandma-ish because it's one of the first ones! Yours sounds so much better!!!! LOOOOOOOVE your blog!