Tuesday, June 16, 2009

THINGS I LOST IN THE POWER OUTAGE



WARNING THIS POST IS WHINY. I SAY IT ALL IN JEST (KIND OF)

Yes I know. It has only been 4 days and my mother has reminded me countless times that during Hurricane Katrina they were out of power for three weeks in the dead heat of August. I know all of this. But there are just some things that you take for granted when it comes to electricity until you just don't have them anymore.

- AIR CONDITIONING (duh)
So that you can sleep at night.
So that your house does not start to smell
So that your poor dog does not overheat during the day

- The whole door of condiments, salad dressings, sauces, etc. etc. etc. that you spent all the money on that you are now going to have to throw away

- LIGHTS (duh)- We had to borrow our friends lanterns and flash lights. We will be purchasing them for the next power outage.

- Being able to do laundry. It is not the clothes that is killing me. It is all the towels. I wash towels a lot because I do not like them to sit somewhere damp.

- Cold Water from the fridge. The water that comes out of the faucets is lukewarm and makes me feel full when I drink it. Hey....maybe that is a good thing.

- TELEVISION!!!!! The Season Finale of Greek last night. I know this is petty but I am still sad. We also missed the season premier of True Blood dern it.

- Sleeping in your own bed (enough said)

- Packed lunches. Since we have nothing in the fridge, we have been eating out for lunch. It makes me feel yucky.

Alright, that is enough whining for the day. Just thought it would make me feel better. I know it is not all that bad. Just cross your fingers that they are working on it as we speak!

SOME THINGS I HAVE NOT TAKEN FOR GRANTED:
- Friends who have let us crash at their place the last 3 nights, watch their tv, use their Internet, turn down their air! HA!
- Parents who let us salvage a good bit of groceries by clearing out their garage fridge for us.
- Parents who made us a yummy meal on Sunday.

1 comment:

Me in Memphis said...

Whine away, you should have heard me this weekend. I cannot get over you STILL do not have power!!! Is it just your house, like the line to your particular house went down? Or the whole neighborhood is out? I can't believe they haven't gotten to you yet! :(

This sounds dumb - but are you sure MLGW knows? We kept calling their hotline to do the automated reporting of our outage, and on Sunday morning they started saying "Your power was restored Saturday at 3pm." Um, no it wasn't. So we had to re-report it, and they kept getting it wrong. So my husband drove around to track down an MLGW truck to tell them our street was still out of power. The guys in the truck knew, but I'm not sure if they just happened upon it, because the main MLGW system was showing that we had power.