Tuesday, October 7, 2008

So with everything going on with the move I have not had a chance to talk about the fabulous show I went to see Thursday night, Avenue Q! This was the first play of the season since we have bought our season tickets. We were not disappointed.

My mom and my sister went with Kenny and I and we all loved it. Here is a little bit about the play:

The show is largely inspired by (and is in the style of) Sesame Street: Most of the characters in the show are puppets (operated by actors onstage), the set depicts several tenements on a rundown street in an "outer borough" of New York City, both the live characters and puppet characters sing, and short animated video clips are played as part of the story. Also, several characters are recognizably parodies of classic Sesame Street characters: for example, the roommates Rod and Nicky are versions of Sesame Street's Bert and Ernie, and Trekkie Monster is based on both Grover and Cookie Monster. However, the characters are in their twenties and thirties and face adult problems instead of those faced by pre-schoolers, thus making the show more suited for the adults who grew up with Sesame Street. The characters use profanity, and the songs concern adult themes (except the opening number). A recurring theme is the central character's search for a "purpose."

The play was different than anything I have ever seen and some of the things that they do with those puppets is down right....well dirty. But the show is HILARIOUS and so clever. And for anyone who has graduated college and is not sure what to do next, this show is so relatable.

All in all I am so glad that I got to see it and would go see it again in a heartbeat. Next up is Mama Mia! Can't wait for that one either!

1 comment:

Working Girl Two said...

i went to see avenue q with WG1 two summers ago. we lovedddd it! what does someone do with a BA in English really rang true with me -- I was an English major. haha.

I'm glad you liked it!