Wednesday, May 20, 2009

3 YEARS AGO TODAY

Three years ago today I married the man of my dreams. Cheesy I know.....but the absolute truth. I am so lucky to have him. Happy Anniversary sweetie!

So since I gave you some pics from the wedding last year. You can read that post here. I thought I would tell you our engagement story today.

Here it goes:
Kenny's final semester was wrapping up at Mississippi State. It was nearing the end of the semester. Finals were coming up and Kenny was going to graduate and leave me behind at State to move home and get a job. I still had two semesters to complete.

One morning when we were at the library Kenny asked me to go to a nice dinner with him. It would be our last real college date he said. (Sad right) We had dated all through college, so this date really was sentimental. I had no idea anything was up. In fact I even tried to postpone the date because I was stressed about school and I had chapter that night. He insisted that we go so I finally agreed to skip chapter and go on our date.

Coincidentally his mother was coming to Starkville that same day to help him move everything out of his apartment that he had lived in for several years in the Cotton District. (and to bring the ring from the jeweler in Jackson) There were lots of memories in that apartment.

So we go to dinner. The place's name escapes me now but we went there because they really knew how to cook a rare steak, which I love. It was a really nice dinner. Kenny did not eat very much where as I thoroughly enjoyed my fillet. Talking over dinner we decided we would go grab a movie that Kenny had at his apartment and get the dog and go watch the movie at my house.

So we leave the restaurant and head towards Kenny's apartment. We pull up outside and Kenny tells me he is just going to run in and grab everything and to just wait in the car. A few minutes later he comes back to his car and starts looking through the console. He tells me he is looking for his checkbook and then runs back inside. I still had no idea anything was going on. Everything up until this point was pretty typical.

Then he calls my cell phone and says I probably need to come inside because Lena chewed something up and he wanted my help cleaning it up. I said okay and start walking in the apartment.

I step in the door and the apartment is empty and dark. But there were roses, and petals and candles EVERYWHERE! Frank Sinatra who I loooove was playing and there were pictures of Kenny and I throughout our relationship on mantle of his fireplace surrounded by more candles. It was so pretty and intimate.

I come around the corner to find Kenny down on one knee where he he tells me about all the amazing time we will have together in the future and asks me to marry him. He said a lot of really sweet stuff but that is private. Sorry peeps!

Of course I said yes! On the counter there were two Crystal champagne flutes that he had ordered. They are the same flutes that we used to toast at at our wedding and now have our wedding date etched on them. We poured glasses of champagne and then danced together to Frank Sinatra. The Way You Look Tonight by Frank Sinatra was our first dance song at our wedding.

It was such a special night and I will remember it for ever and ever. And that brings us today. Almost 5 years later. (we had a long engagement so I could finish school) I can't believe it has been three years! Can't wait for 80 more!

Oh and one more thing (I know this a long post)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM! HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT DAY!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your engagement story!

Elizabeth said...

What a sweet, sweet story! I love it! :)

CBK said...

Congratulations! Hope you had a great day :)

The Mrs. said...

What an amazing engagement story!!! Love it!