Monday, March 2, 2009

WEEKEND IN NUMBERS

3- inches of snow that fell on Memphis
1- silly husband that thought that it would be a good idea to go camping this weekend and then got himself stranded in Mississippi because the car he rode down in was stuck in the mud.
1 - Very immersed in water, stuck in mud jeep
220- Miles Driven from Memphis to Winona and back in said snow and icy roads to pick up said stranded husband.
6- Amount of times that my car fishtailed and I thought I was going to die
25- Cars seen off road in highway medians
4- tow trucks that made me happy that I somehow managed to stay on the road
3- prayers that were said while driving to please keep me safe
210- minutes that it took me to make what normally would be a 9o minute trip
1- Snowman built

So needless to say, our weekend was an eventful one. Friday afternoon Kenny headed off with one of his buddies to go camping with a bunch of guys from high school on some land in Mississippi. Despite the fact that it was raining when they left and it was supposed to rain all weekend they planned this little reunion weekend weeks ago and were excited about going. So Friday night I signed up to work a Junior League shift and then I came home and watched a movie.

I did check up on the boys and they informed me that the river they were camping next too seemed to be rising and they were pretty much covered in mud. Sounds like so much fun.

So Saturday morning I get a call. The Jeep is stuck and the water has gotten even higher. They need to get out of there and they will probably need me to come get them. It is just raining at this point. But this is what their camp site looked like.SO while I am at a hair appointment I get the call that I need to drive two hours and come pick up Kenny and Dan at some random exit off the highway. So I run home to get some towels and trash bags per their instructions and hit the road. In the half hour that I left the house and headed that way the weather went from rain, to freezing rain, to the most ginormous snowflakes I have ever seen in the South. I call Kenny and tell him that I am turning around. It is just too dangerous to drive. I mean it was really coming down.

So Dan and Kenny canoe out of their destroyed campsite and managed to get a ride to some motel where they stayed for the night. I am glad that I made the decision to turn around because it did not stop snowing until the very early morning.

Sunday morning, I decided I am so glad that I live in the South because snow is a HUGE pain in the rear. I woke up early to get on the road and had to literally dig my car out to get the doors open. They were covered in snow and frozen shut. So I finally get on the road around 7:30 am (yes I am a good wife) to go get these silly boys. And I soon discover the roads are soooo dangerous. Covered in ice and snow. My car was all over the road and it was scaring the crap out of me. At one point I was shaking I was so nervous. The farther I got into Mississippi the better the roads got which I was extremely appreciative of. When I finally reached those knucklehead boys we loaded up their very muddy gear and made the trek back. And yes we did stop at Cracker Barrel on the way home. I needed some comfort food. Poor Dan's wife was driving from Nashville to come pick him up since his Jeep was stuck and she got stuck in that horrible traffic Jam on I-40. The entire thing was such a mess. But everyone made it home safe and sound. Eventually.

And Kenny and I even had enough time to enjoy the snow. Meet Steve.
Steve the Snowman.


So I have a whole new respect for Snowmen. They are really hard to make. Which explains why ours just could not seem to get any height to him. We still love him. (Sorry these pictures are out of focus)


2 comments:

Hopsy said...

Wow, what a weekend! I am glad you and Kenny are both still alive!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

How dramatic! So glad you're safe and sound!