Thursday, June 19, 2008

FLASHBACK OF A CHILDHOOD MEMORY

Funny and really quite an embarrassing story from my childhood:

In first grade we were doing an activity about what we wanted to be when we grow up. First our teacher had us color a picture of our grown up dreams and then we were going to dress up and bring props for a show and tell time.

I guess I was feeling really uncreative that day so I looked at my friends paper to see what she was coloring. To this day all I can remember seeing on her paper were hangers. So using my six year old logic I assumed that she was drawing a picture of the cleaners. She wanted to work at the cleaners so I wanted to work at the cleaners.

Fast forward to the day where we had to dress up like the profession of our future. Not knowing what people who work at the cleaners normally wear, I put on a nice dress. Have you ever seen the people at the cleaners wear a dress? No, you haven't because people who work at the cleaners do not wear frilly dresses with those big white collars.(Every girl out there knows what I am talking about). And off my mother sends me with her clothes from the cleaners. Wire hangers, plastic wrap and all!

Wow, my teacher must have been really impressed by my aspirations. Especially since my little friend who I had copied the idea from wanted to work at a golf course because her daddy was a golf pro! Big difference.

The next day I went back to wanting to be an author. The profession I wanted to do from the time I was around 5 until 13. I must not of known how to draw what an author does that day.

(Note: Please understand that in no way am I making disparaging remarks to people who work at cleaners. I just think it is a very funny thing for a six year old to choose as a future profession and to dress up as.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think someone drank too much cough syrup before they went to bed last night.

Andrew and Susan said...

Why have I never heard this story?

Lee Herrin said...

Okay, I've been lurking around your blog for a while now, (though we're not technically strangers, I guess!) and this story just made me laugh out loud. I'm adding you to my blog roll!